Thursday, November 8, 2012

Day Ten: Stages and Day Two of Notan Design Lesson


General Art: Continuing stage design
I feel like this class keeps becoming more open to me; I was very excited about working with them today and felt really invested in their work. I asked many of the students what they selected as books, gave positive feedback, and suggested additions of methods for them to use. I was able to joke around with students and talk to them about books and music, I think some of these students are starting to really like me. They no longer shy away from me or answer me with short replies. Students were telling me about their school play, their family, and anything else they could think of related to their books. The only problem is I only have one more day with them! There are some really great kids in this class who have come up with very creative ways to design a scene and portray emotion. It’s going to be sad saying goodbye, knowing that we have just begun to build a relationship.

Prep-hour:
During this time I spoke to Mr. H about rules; he does not post rules in his class. I had noticed this within the first couple of days that I was present in his room. Mr. H said that he expected his students at this age to understand social rules and the general expectations within a classroom. The only rules students received were on the syllabus and would only be discussed if there were a discipline issue.

Lesson Day two:
This was another exciting day! Mr. H was out of the room for a parent-teacher conference during the majority of the prep hour and missed the first couple minutes of class. Nora and I began shortly after the bell rang and started with a recap of what students learned the day before. We split the students into small groups of three to four and gave each group a word to define. (Symmetry, asymmetry, balance, negative space, and positive space.) We asked them to write the word and define it in their own words together and present it to the class. The students did a great job of coming up with definitions and I tried to connect the definitions they gave with images that we looked at yesterday. Nora then gave a demo on how to use the exacto knives and how students should flip the pieces and paste them. We gave a few suggestions on methods that might help them create well-crafted designs. Students began working on cutting their designs out and pasting them on their large sheets of white paper. As Nora and I rotated through the room we were asked a couple questions that we addressed to the class. It was exciting to see how the information we gave them was leading to understanding and successful designs. Some students were getting excited about how their projects and other student’s work were looking. Mr. H decided to extend the project through Monday because he was pleased with how their work was looking and wanted to make sure their projects turned out well. Nora and I will be returning to the class to finish up the lesson on Monday and see how their work as paid off. To finish class we asked another closure questions, “What did you gain inspiration from for your design?”

No comments:

Post a Comment