Thursday, November 8, 2012

Day Nine: Notan Lesson day one - 11/7


Notan Design!
My partner, Nora, and I began our lesson today with the Eighth grade class. Notan design focuses on utilizing elements of design to create either a symmetrical or asymmetrical image. (I will add photos of my examples and student work soon.) The students are given a 6x6 in. black square that they cut shapes from and rotate the pieces as if they were on a door hinge to explore positive and negative space. This will be glued down to large white paper.

Lesson Day one:
Nora and I began the class with a PowerPoint presentation that we hoped would engage the students through questioning and participation. Students were a little resistant and possibly a little intimidated by the change of dynamics within the class; Nora and I haven’t spent an incredible amount of time with them and have not been a significant part of any lesson up to this point. We struggled a little to get students to participate, but we reacted positively to comments and tried to appear open.  In the PowerPoint were images of Notan design, including history and examples of symmetry, asymmetry, positive space, negative space, and balance. We also defined student expectations and due dates. We explained our expectations for sketches and showed an example. Nora and I then passed out both papers along with a self-assessment form for students to complete after finishing the project. Students were given the remainder of the period to sketch while Nora and I circulated through the room answering questions. As closure we asked the students what Notan design is and asked them to write their answers in their art notebooks. Students were assigned to have three sketches finished and their favorite one drawn out on their black paper for tomorrow.

I was so excited about teaching today that I almost started to cry when we finished for the day. This was not expected; I just really loved teaching the kids and working to engage them through questioning. It was thrilling to answer their questions and work with them individually on their designs. I was so excited about making myself seem accessible and approachable to the students; the last thing I want is for them to feel like they can’t ask me a question or talk with me about their work. This was an incredibly exciting and eye-opening day. I feel like I learned so much from this initial experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment